Why Bulldozers and Sustainable Development?
I read a thought-provoking conclusion to an article by a gentleman named Andy Whitmore. The article is called The Emperor’s New Clothes: Sustainable Mining? He wrote:
The truth is that sustainability implies something quite different depending on which side of the bulldozer you are on.
I like that image, but I don’t choose a side. The field of environmental protection and socio-economic development (my background) evolves quickly and is complex, especially as natural resources become more precious and hard to find. As a believer in collaboration, I wanted to put some ideas, reasources and links online in hopes of finding new material, ideas, experiences, criticisms and support.
Why a blog on the topic?
I want interaction with innovators and problem-solvers.
Disclaimer! The opinions I pen are my own and do not represent anything other than my opinion. Also, in no way do I endorse all the links and websites that appear in this space. Their opinions, like my own, are there’s alone.
What I try to collect?
- Links on environmental protection and socio-economic development, with a slant to private sector development and extractive industries;
- Reports and tools that try to advance the science and debate;
- News articles relating to the same topics;
- Brief commentary, normally only meant to invite other opinions.
On the links: Some blogs are very helpful to me. I have shared those in my Blogroll. Other NGOs keep me thinking and I pass those along, even though they are not always in agreement with the sites listed under Resources. You are free to judge yourself.
Code of conduct?
- Be nice. We are all learning.